Thursday, July 26, 2007

EnviroCamp

Zach, Bekah, and I went to EnviroCamp on July 9th through 13th. Zach and I were volunteers, while Bekah participated in the camp. It was held at the Geneva Wilderness Area near Oviedo. The kids that attend have the opportunity to be field biologists for the week. They learn to take wildlife samples by using Sherman mammal traps (metal boxes that have a door which closes when an animal steps inside) in the woods, and minnow traps (wire mesh traps that have funnels which allow fish to swim in but not out) in the lakes.

We're on the way into the scrub to check our mammal traps.

Every time the kids found a trap that had caught something, they had to dump the animal into a ziplock bag so they could weigh and measure it.

Whenever we came across a Gopher Tortoise the kids had to take down all the data on it.

Along with the field work, we also had some class time. Everybody was glad to come back to the air conditioned room. : ) The two people who ran the camp were Amanda and Steve (they are the ones standing). We've known Steve for years. He works at the Central Florida Zoo, and we have done community service there since I was about 9 years old. I met Amanda when I helped with EnviroCamp last year. They did a great job, and they're a lot of fun to work with!

Zach, with a real smile!

Bekah, Amanda, Devin, and Cassidy

Bekah, Karis, and Amanda

Checking the minnow traps.

A Golden Silk Orbweaver

Elijah and I. Elijah was a trouble maker for most of the camp, but the last day he started opening up. He and I had a long talk about what it means to be saved, what it would have been like to live during Jesus' time, and what struggles we have. At one point he said to me "I don't let people pull me down, because if they do, they will walk all over you. So if I'm telling the truth, I'll stick to the truth; and if I'm telling a lie, I will stick to my lie." I had to smile, because I had seen the evidence of that all week. We got all of our problems settled and he gave me a hug before he left.

1 comment:

Megan Marie said...

wow...that is amazing about Elijah!! How cool!!
That is a good one of zach!!!!
That sounded like a lit of fun!!!
love/megan marie =)