Wednesday, August 1, 2007

travels

This past weekend we drove up to Virginia, where we visited Colonial Williamsburg, Jamestown, and Yorktown. I have wanted to see those places since I was 6 or 7 years old, so I was really excited about the trip!

July 27


At Williamsburg all of the historical sites were spread out, so we had to walk a lot. We were exausted and our feet were very tired by the end of that day, but I had so much fun! The first building we visited was the Governor's Palace. From there we went to the saddle and harness shop, the print shop, the weapon and powder magazine, the public gaol, and the courthouse.
I love history, and I have always enjoyed studying colonial America, so I thought it was really neat to visit this town where people like Patrick Henry and George Washington had been.



The Governor's Palace





One of our favorite places was the hedge maze behind the palace.




July 28

Sunday morning we drove to the Jamestown Settlement, where there are replicas of the Jamestown fort, an Indian village, and the ships that brought the settlers over from England. My favorite part of that day was visiting the ships. I love to read about adventures on the high seas, but I don't think I would like to have to be on a sailing ship for very long - I need my space. : )




Godspeed, Discovery, and Susan Constant


Below deck




July 29


It was a gray and rainy morning. We visited the Jamestown Glass house, where we watched several people blowing glass. I could have watched them for a long time; it was really neat!


Just a few years ago, some people found the actual site of Jamestown. Now there is an active archeological dig, so we went to see that.


The glass house was right next to the James River. We spent some time just walking along the bank.



The James River




My lil' sis and lil' bro




My Dad, lil' sis and big lil' bro




Later that day we visited Yorktown, where the last major battle in the War for Independence was fought. We all really enjoyed Yorktown. First we went through the museum, then to the army camp, and finally we got to explore the trenches on the battlefield. I loved that the most. Having an extremely vivid imagination, I could all but see the men, hear the muskets, and feel the determination during the siege in 1781. I thank God for the men that gave their lives for my freedom. I thank God for the men and women that are giving their lives, today, for the freedom of millions around the world.




Me and a cannon at the Yorktown battlefield.


11 comments:

Megan Marie said...

Hannah, wow, these are amazing pictures!!! And the one of you and the canon and in the ship are such good ones!!!
Looks like you guys are having fun!!!
See ya soon!
Love/megan marie =)

Mrs said...

Someday . . . I'll get to go to Virginia! Thanks for posting these photos and letting us "travel" with you!

PS Yesterday was a MAJOR church clean-up day. You would not believe the kitchen pantry or benevolence pantry. You won't believe the work the men did on the outside!

Hannah R. said...

Megan,
Yes we're having lots of fun!!! But I'm missing everyone back in FL. I really missed my home church this morning.


Mrs. Welsh,
I'm glad so much work got done yesterday!! I wish I could have been there to help!

~ Hannah ~

Anonymous said...

Hannah!
I'm so glad I discovered you!
I always love to find another friendly face on this vast expanse called the internet. :]

OH! I just love the picture of you at Yorktown! What a lovely picture of you. You have such a natural, beautiful smile. :D
The scenery is utterly breathtaking!

Gearing up for NY? I sure am!
Phantom here we come!!!

Miss you! Wish you could be at the Seniors Say Goodbye night tomorrow at youth. :[
See you soon!

Hannah R. said...

I'm getting very excited about going to NY! We're going to have a blast!!!

I missed being at youth. : ( I think I will be able to come tomorrow, if I'm allowed. ; )

~ Hannah ~

Mrs said...

So, is one of the places Hannah will go called, "HOME"?

;-)

I bet you'll be home just in time to leave again. Graduated seniors are like that.

Hannah R. said...

We just got home this afternoon. And, yup, I'll be leaving again tuesday morning, I think. But after I get back from that trip I should be home for a while. I have to go to school and all that stuff. ; )

I'll be glad to be home for a while. Traveling really wears you out after a few weeks.

Love, Hannah

Megan Marie said...

Yay!!!! Your home!!!! I am so excited! It was so good to see you at youth group!!!! =)
Hope you can come this Monday!!Love/megan marie =)

Anonymous said...

May Jesus go with you as you start your first day of college!
You are in my prayers, friend. :]

Mrs said...

Hannah as been home, then gone, then home again, and I STILL haven't seen her!

I hope there's at least one large hug waiting when I DO see you!

Anonymous said...

I got in the car after youth group and said, "I missed Hannah." :[

Thinking of you....
:]