Monday, August 27, 2007

The First Two Weeks....

Well, the first two weeks of college are over. I now know that 15 hours of college classes is a heavy load, but I am also confident that God is with me through every minute of it. (Thank you, Lord!!!!)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This first semester I am taking Biology I, Composition I, College Algebra, Archaeology Method and Theory, and Honors Symposium.

I have a great professor in biology; I really enjoy that class. So far we've been reviewing basic biology and chemistry principles. Thankfully, this is an honors course, so it is a class of about 15 kids.

My composition course is not at all what I had expected. We are required to do in-class writings once a week and will complete four essays over the semester. Then each of us also has to give a fifteen-minute presentation once during the semester. All of the in-class writings, essays, and presentations will be based on early American history. So it has turned out to be a comp/speaking/history class. This is another honors course of ~15.

The college algebra lectures are given in an auditorium which seats 400. That is the largest class I have ever taken! (Obviously, since I have been homeschooled for my entire life.) We've been working on some review and then the first four lessons in the textbook, so it hasn't gotten too difficult...yet. ; )

Archaeology is a lot of fun! I really like my professor; she is kind and encouraging towards the whole class. This is a junior level course, so it is a lot of hard work. I had to write a paper by the end of the first week. We all have these archaeology workbooks that have several assignments in it. In the first assignment, I was given a whole bunch of data (artifacts that were found here or there, how deep they were found, etc.), and then I was supposed to write out a possible history for the people groups in that area. It took a long time to write, but I really enjoyed it!!

The honors symposium is a required course for all honors freshmen, so I didn't get a choice about that one. Every week we listen to someone give a lecture (in a class of 400), and then we break out into smaller groups to discuss the topic. This year the theme is "The Evolution of a Community."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

So, that's an overview of the classes I'm taking this semester.

I have a few friends at UCF, but so far I haven't found anyone that I've really clicked with. As it is now, by the end of the week, I'm desperate for some good Christian fellowship.

Thank you, God, for my amazing friends and wonderful church!!!! Thank you for being faithful, and for loving me just as I am.

Help me to shine your love to everyone around me!!!


~ Hannah ~

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hannah,
How I love to read what you compose! It's so beautiful and tangible.
Good to hear that you made it through your first week! I can't imagine all that homework! You're a good student; I'm confident you'll get through very well. :]

As far as fellowship, my sister goes to Crusade on Thursday nights. I've been once with her, and it was fun! You might want to check it out. Just a suggestion.
Miss you on Mondays. :[

Hope to see you soon.

Love,
Jessie

Mrs said...

Wow, Hannah! You certainly have my prayers, but you also have my confidence. Everything sounds like it's right up your alley!

Loved seeing your smiling face yesterday!

Megan Marie said...

Hannah!!!
Wow, you are so busy!!! I will be praying for you!!! You can do it!! =) I hope you find someone you click with!! I am sure you will!!
I have been missing you around here! We will have to get together!!
Can't wait for the ladies retreat!! Should be really good!! :)
Hey, did your dad get any good pics of us in our canoe?!
I will see you Sunday, if not sooner! :)
Love/megan marie :)

Phyllis said...

Hi Hannah! You're at UCF? Shannon might have some suggestions of where to go for fellowship.

It's nice to "hear your voice" here. :-)

Anonymous said...

Are you going to the game tomorrow?

I'll be there with my Daddy. :]

Megan Marie said...

Hannah!!!!
How are you?! I heard you got your math done!!! Oh, your big test was today....right.........how did that go?! Did it take a long time for everyone to get in?! Did you have a long enough time for the test!?
I am glad we both got to go to the retreat!!! =)
love ya!/megan marie =)

Hannah R. said...

Mrs. Welsh!
Thank you so much for praying for me!!!

Hi Phyllis!!!
It is so good to hear from you!
I love your blog! Jaan and Raia are so cute!!!
Shannon probably does have some good suggestions for fellowship. I've had several people tell me about different groups, I just need to find the time to check them out. : )

Jessie!
How was the game? I hope you had fun! I heard that it rained.
I went to the Circle Ladies Retreat last weekend, so I wasn't anywhere near UCF. ; )

Megan!
I don't know if my Dad has any pictures from the canoe trip or not. I'll have to find out.
Yep, I got my math done (finally!). And the test went pretty well. Actually it didn't take us too long to get everyone in. I still could have used some more time, but it always does take me a long time to get my math done....
I'll see you on Sunday!

Love, Hannah

Megan Marie said...

Hannah!! I am glad the test went well!!! =) Yah, I like as much time as I can get!!
Oh....thanks you SOOO much for that Tim Tam!!!!! It was AMAZING!!!! that was the first one I had in over three years!! =) Someday I will buy a whole case of them for us to share!!!
Love ya/megan marie =)

Hannah R. said...

Megan,

My Dad brought them home one night and I was so surprised!!!! I love Tim Tams!!!! They bring back lots of memories, don't they?

Anonymous said...

Hey! It's Thursday!
You don't have to brave the university! :]

Hannah R. said...

Hey Jessie!

Yes! I love Thursdays! I usually have papers due on Fridays, so it gives me time to prepare them.

Thanks for the invitation to lunch! I would love to go sometime!!! I'll let you know when I have a good time. And actually, I don't get out of classes until 2:30 in the afternoon (or 6:30pm on Tuesdays), so it will have to be after that. Are there any times that won't work for you?

How is youth group worship going?
Have you gained any more instruments?

I miss seeing you every week!

Love, Hannah

Anonymous said...

Hannah,
I have nothing on Wednesdays; Tuesdays I get out of class at 12:45. I usually go to the service project, but that's not every week, and I think I could make an exception for you. :]
Just ring me.

Music is going alright. Somebody said something about needing a violin solo, and I instinctively thought of you. It's just Paul on guitar, Snyder on bass, Matt B. on drums, Zach, and me. Tonight actually went really well. I think it was very worshipful.
*hug*
Somehow cyber hugs aren't nearly as fulfulling. Can't wait till I can give it in person! :D

Mrs said...

Hannah, Hannah, take a break
Don't forget to eat some cake
Only you could be alone
With a pile of beaver bones

Thank you muchly for your hug
Warm and friendly, strong and snug
By God's grace I hope and pray
To get another, come Sunday

So inhale deeply, get some rest
Thank God for the "B" on test
Semester one is almost through;
We're still here, praying for you!

Hannah R. said...

Thank you! Thank you!
I love it when people write poetry for me!!!!!
I love seeing you on Sundays and getting hugs from you too!!!
And thanks for the prayers!
I need all I can get.... ; )

Love, Hannah